Creative Commons License

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Blog Post #5: Thursday 10/06 [My Early Experiences Using Twitter, the Digital Divide, and Academic Software for Students]

 Blog Post #5: Thursday 10/06

My Early Experiences Using Twitter

Twitter has been an exciting resource for communicating with aspiring teachers. I enjoyed the Twitter chat; I didn't know that kind of thing existed. It's interesting to see how people of all professions utilize technological resources like social media to expand their network. Social media like Twitter are great ways to stay updated on the news impacting your career field. I plan to pursue a career in public health and government health policy. Therefore, I could use Twitter in a few years to stay updated on recent public health news and communicate with colleagues in the field. Relevant to my interests, I could also use Twitter to educate myself about where in the country I might be able to help with my expertise. 

Digital Divide

The digital divide is very relevant to the issue of education equality. Educational technology is often unequally distributed to specific schools for discriminatory reasons. Notably, increased funding granted to high-achieving schools presents a significant concern for the accessibility gap between privileged and underprivileged communities. This leaves children with many fewer opportunities to succeed than they had already. The school digital divide interferes with education equality and leaves minority students behind. As a classroom teacher, you may not have IPads or interactive technology accessible in your classroom. This could be because the school district you work may not be adequately or excessively funded. Teachers in this situation must be creative with their classroom techniques to maintain engagement.

Academic Software for Students

I would like to implement two software tools in my future classroom: Jamboard and Class Dojo. Jamboard is a great resource for displaying student ideas pleasingly and interactively. Teachers can make several different canvases for different topics and manipulate the size and category of their students' sticky notes. Class Dojo allows teachers to encourage and reward positive behavior, display directions, make random groups, etc. Younger students love receiving their Dojo avatar and setting up their digital portfolio. Both software systems are great resources for establishing a close community in the classroom and promoting individual expression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #9: Thursday 11/03 [My Experience as a Distance Learner, Open Educational Resources, and PowerPoint Assignments]

 Blog Post #9: Thursday 11/03 My Experience as a Distance Learner As a junior in high school, I was one of the few students to return to...