Creative Commons License

Thursday, October 13, 2022

Blog Post #6: Thursday 10/13 [My Initial Experiences Using Diigo and Blogging plus a Review of Tumblr]

 Blog Post #6: Thursday 10/13

Initial Experiences Using Diigo

In general, I'm not the biggest fan of Diigo. However, I do appreciate a few aspects of the extension. For one, I really like that Diigo allows users to annotate and create comments on text files. I imagine this would be very useful in a classroom setting for educators and students who are learning to efficiently highlight text sections. I also appreciate the applicable tags on group posts and a clear section for groups. All that being said, there are many other things I don't enjoy about Diigo. For one, I think the site should be technologically revamped in several ways. For one, the main page always prompts me to add the Diigo extension to my computer even though I already have the extension. Additionally, I don't like how the site is not feed-based (in the sense that groups are the only section for content). Also, I'm still unclear about the use of outlines. 

My Experience with Blogging

I've enjoyed my experience with blogging thus far. I appreciate clear instructions on what to include in each blog section. Blogging in this manner is an excellent way for me to reflect upon our class assignments and portfolio items. The only aspect that I don't care for regards teacher simulation. In other words, I am not pursuing a career in teaching; therefore, I feel awkward discussing "my future classroom". I understand that this is a big part of the class and that many of my classmates are education majors. Nevertheless, it's a little strange to me that in all of my elective classes, it's implied that I'm pursuing those specific careers. However, I appreciate learning more about technology and valuable educational resources which will help me in college. 

Unique Web 2.0 Tool: Tumblr

I always perceived Tumblr as somewhat of an outdated social media application. It turns out that there are a lot of professional uses for blogging and posting on Tumblr.
Tumblr is feed-based, which I appreciate. Rather than the feed algorithm operating based on past usage, Tumblr uses tags. Therefore, it's essential that users are browsing under their preferred tags. Additionally, there is a "trending" page, which suggests that there is recent information circling through the site. Unique to Tumblr, there is a "staff favorites" section; I'm not too sure why that section exists. In terms of professionalism, Tumblr blog pages are highly customizable for companies. Additionally, there are many options for publishing from other locations- namely Twitter, email, text messages, etc. Finally, users have access to a search engine and copyrights.
I was surprised to discover Tumblr's many usages. 

Tumblr can be accessed here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #9: Thursday 11/03 [My Experience as a Distance Learner, Open Educational Resources, and PowerPoint Assignments]

 Blog Post #9: Thursday 11/03 My Experience as a Distance Learner As a junior in high school, I was one of the few students to return to...